As women continue to make their mark in the world, we see more and more women becoming billionaires, with a current list of over 30. “They are emerging from some of the world’s biggest economies, taking on corporate roles their grandmothers and even mothers never would have dreamed possible.” (Forbes)
These financially powerful women fall into two general categories: those who are self-made billionaires and those who are inherited billionaires.
I would like to pay more attention to the self-made billionaire women to reiterate that women can be equally enterprising and hardworking, and can become as financially powerful as men. The top enterprising and impressive women are as follows:
1. 38 year-old Hong Kong citizen Chu Lam Yiu is the youngest self-made female billionaire in the world! She heads Huabao International, a company that makes fragrances and flavorings for cigarettes, detergents, beverages, dairy products and cosmetics. Chu started the company a decade ago.
2. Chinese billionaire Zhang Xin, 43, worked in a factory stitching apparel in Hong Kong at age 14 before eventually getting a master’s at Cambridge University. Today, she and her husband Pan Shiyi run one of China’s most successful property developers, SOHO China, known for its sleek and modern buildings across the country.
3. Russian Elena Baturina, also a former factory worker, founded Inteko in 1991, and it later became one of the city’s biggest construction companies.
4. (J.K.) Rowling, 42, formerly a struggling single mother who lived on welfare. She is now the renown writer of “Harry Potter” books and movies.
It’s worthy to note that two of these women did manual labour in factories while one was a single mother on welfare. This goes to show that women can rise above their social and economic challenges to become top and financially powerful women of the world. None of us are less different or less capable than these women.
Younger Women Becoming Billionaires
Another striking observation is, the number of billionaire women between the age of 24 and 40 has increased recently. The world’s youngest billionaire is 24-year-old Hind Hariri, the daughter of the late Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Al-Hariri. Considering this phenomenon, I still have a favourable shot at becoming a billionaire!
Most Famous Female Billionaires
The award goes to young billionaire entrepreneur and British novelist Joanne (J.K.) Rowling, 42, formerly a struggling single mother who lived on welfare. That was before she penned the immensely popular Harry Potter series about a boy wizard and eventually transformed herself into the world’s only billionaire author.
Of course, it’s hard to talk about self-made billionaires without naming American television host, producer and philanthropist Oprah Gail Winfrey, best known for her award-winning talk show, which has become the highest-rated program of its kind in history. She has been ranked the richest African American of the 20th century and beyond and was once the world’s only black billionaire. Winfrey is also dubbed the most influential woman in the world.
Some of the World’s Top Inherited Billionaires
- Yang Huiyan, 26
- Begumhan Dogan Faralyali, 31
- Sister Hanzade Dogan Boyner, 36,
- Vuslat Dogan Sabanci, 37
As mentioned, none of us are less different or less capable than the top self-made billionaire women. Now, do you want to be a billionaire? You can be! Go for it!
Read more on some of these women by clicking link below
©Woman To Woman